Sedona 2015 - UTAH Meet-up

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Things to do! > Balloon flight

Alex

it looks like there are a handful of us who are high on a balloon flight. Pun intended. Laugh everyone. 

I think Sunday morning is probably best. The flights launch for sunrise and so we should be back and ready for another activity between 9-10AM. If it's Sunday we can catch up to a crowd that seems to be building for Jerome and or Prescott. Or we could join hikers or shoppers or whatever. 

http://northernlightballoons.com/index.php?Rates-and-Contact-6

There are two companies in Sedona. I've known the chief pilot at Northern Light for years. They would be my first choice. Rates are the same for both carriers at $220 pp, add tax and tip. I haven't contacted anyone there yet, but I will call on Monday and inquire and attempt to reserve the date. So far it looks like me, Allen OH, Tommy Banda, and who else? 

I'll report back in this thread tomorrow.

--

RedRox

Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you might never owe

July 19, 2015 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

Ha Ha for your pun.

--

...glass half full.

July 19, 2015 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Roz aka SWT aka SussexWorldtraveller aka SupersonicWindTunnel

David and I are up for the balloon ride.

We've been umming and aahhh ing over the idea for years.  There used to be a company that did them near us here in the UK and depending on the wind they'd go right over our house.  They went bankrupt back in 2011 and not seen any since then in our neighbourhood.  Apart from the high cost, the other reason we were dubious is that we don't get such reliable weather here so the chance of your flight being cancelled was probably 60% which meant booking one for a milestone such as a birthday was risky, you might end up having the celebration several weeks later, so missing the whole point!

Roz

July 20, 2015 at 8:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

OK, I tried to call Northern Light. The agent cannot discuss availability until she knows the weight, fully dressed, for each passenger. 

So if those of you who are interested will PM me with that data I will call back and inquire again. I will also contact Red Rock Balloon to compare, but I suspect they need the same information. 

--

RedRox

July 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Update. I called NLB again and gave weights that I took from the Duckie registration data page. I guessed for Allen. 

I have made a reservation, but I could only reserve for me. Everyone else needs to contact NLB on their own to coordinate. Here are the details.

I booked for Sunday morning Oct 11th. I requested Blair Preston as our pilot. Those who want to fly need to call NLB and book the same day and mention my name, Alex Ware, as part of the same group. They will take your credit card info but it won't be authorized until 3 days before the flight. There's a 48 hour cancellation policy, so funds aren't at risk until we are all gathered here in Sedona. I've been instructed to call on the day before the flight to confirm everything and receive final pick up instructions. I understand that we will meet at Basha's parking lot in West Sedona. That means we can all car pool from here in the Village. They have baskets for 7 passengers or 12 passengers. We are urged to book ASAP because it will be a holiday weekend. 

http://northernlightballoons.com/index.php?Rates-and-Contact-6

--

RedRox

July 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Beth, aka Bannda

Tommy just called them and signed up. 

For me, I'll be sleeping in that morning. :)

July 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Great! Don't worry Beth. There will be plenty of options for you, including sleep 

--

RedRox

July 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

OK, message understood.  Will get my brain round the time difference to call during what are likely to be Sedona office hours and take it from there.

Seems all I have achieved is switching my early start from a Friday to a Sunday!

Roz

July 21, 2015 at 6:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

Copy, Gold Leader.  I'll get on this.

--

...glass half full.

July 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Axelbobo

Allen, aka OhioHick at July 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Lol.

“Great, kid. Don’t get cocky.”

--

Good work aint cheap. Cheap work aint good.

July 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

Axelbobo at July 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM

Allen, aka OhioHick at July 21, 2015 at 12:01 PM

Lol.

“Great, kid. Don’t get cocky.”

I think that Axelbobo and are going to get along just fine.

--

...glass half full.

July 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Axelbobo
So is this ballooning safe. Do you get parachutes! Was initially thinking of videoing you guys drifting up, up and away...... But now thinking it might be very appealing, but might bring out the scaredy cat in me. The potential of looking down at what's below might just swing it. Will decide in a few days but Mrs may demand I get some life insurance before I commit.
--

July 21, 2015 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

Axelbobo>>>>>We go to the Bluff UT. Balloon Festival every year in January.   We've got to know so many of the Balloon Pilots that I can usually crew and get a free ride.  I might even sponser a Baloon this year.  I was able to get Noel's daughter Emma a ride last January.  

So don't be scared.  It is one of the most peaceful things I've experienced. If you really are afraid of heights don't look down, there is so much beauty all around to look at in the sky.  Go for it. 

--

Most of my best memories come from some old dirt road......Slickrockwalker

July 21, 2015 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

I've attended the festivals at Albuquerque and elsewhere through the years. Never been in a basket. Accidents are rare. Deaths unheard of in our area AFAIK. 

For me, this will be a first and it will be a test of my ability to overcome certain fears. But I'm counting on folks from the herd to give me support. 

The more the merrier. 

--

RedRox

July 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Axelbobo

Ok, i was just jesting in my last post.

Just watched a couple of balloning Youtubes and it looks kinda fine.

As much as selfie sticks are out of favour on T.A of late, i'm afraid that you are just gonna have to accept it (unless i drop the damn thing).

How soon do you need to know as im very lazy when it comes to phoning for things.

--

July 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

They need to know soon Axelbobo, as it's a holiday weekend and there are weight limit issues. So follow the directions in my earlier post by calling the number at the link. I realize it can be a pain in the ass from GB, but it's only one call. Be sure to mention my name and ask to be coordinated with our group. 

--

RedRox

July 24, 2015 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

I've just got thru to Reesa and made a reservation by telephone, as per Alex's instructions above.  Amazing set up this outfit have.  Those balloon flights aren't exactly cheap and they take your CC details and warn you that you will be billed 3 days before the reservation, yet they are unable to provide a written confirmation by email or any other means?  Anyway, it's done.  Another tick on my list!

Roz

July 25, 2015 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

They can provide an email confirmation but you need to request it at an address that I don't have handy at the moment. I also just spoke to Ressa and she confirmed your call Roz, as well as Tommy and me. 

I told her to expect calls from OhioHick and Axelbobo. Make the calls guys.

--

RedRox

July 25, 2015 at 6:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

Will be calling soon.  Just had to confirm with Lisa.  I'm in,  Lynn is pretty confident, Lisa is a bit uncertain, but I'm just going to reserve for all three of us and we'll adjust later as needed.

--

...glass half full.

July 25, 2015 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Cool. If you need help convincing her, show her the balloon and sunrise photos that my friend Rusty took this morning

--

RedRox

July 25, 2015 at 7:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.