Sedona 2015 - UTAH Meet-up

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Things to do! > Rough outline

Alex

Max and Esty and I have put together a very rough outline of hikes and activities for the meetup. What we've tried to do is group hikes and activities together each day in different areas around Sedona considering our primary bases in Village of Oakcreek. There is nothing written in stone about these days that can't be modified or tweaked, with a couple of exceptions. 

For Wednesday I tried to focus on places that are fairly close to VOC as we'll be arriving at different times from all directions. We like Thursday for West Fork and Oak Creek Canyon so we can avoid the holiday weekend crowds that will no doubt be heading there. Friday is the day that I have booked for the Verde River duckie adventure. I've posted a separate thread and its time to sign up. I was able to negotiate a 20% discount based on the strong feedback shown on the doodle poll. The other hikes and ruins that day are near Camp Verde and McGuireville. Saturday we'll head out for the canyons and places around West Sedona. Lots of hikes, ruins, rock art and fun out that way. Sunday will be a mishmash plus the potential for a road trip to Cottonwood, Jerome and maybe Prescott. The Verde Canyon Railroad and several wineries are also in that direction.

As always, the hikes and who is going where, is generally determined on the night before, so that we can arrange rendezvous spots, times etc. No one is ever required to do anything at any time. These are just suggestions. However, the friendships we've made and enjoyed through the years have mostly developed on these day hikes and activities. So plan to enjoy and participate at whatever level is comfortable for you. We have several participants and local hikers and bikers who will be around and available to hike and guide us too. So no one needs to go off without a leader unless they want to. There are other activities not listed that could be incorporated on any day. The Sedona Art Festival will be happening on Saturday and Sunday. Frankie will probably want to take anyone there who wants to go along. Shopping expeditions at Tlaquepaque, Hillside and Uptown are another favorite for her. There are local bike rental shops and one of our local DEs is a bike trail guide. There will be opportunities for swimming and wading and splashing everyday. A morning balloon flight is a very real possibility, but those who are serious need to let us know, ASAP. 

FOOD has always been a central element in our planning. We've learned in the past that feeding our crowd is most economical when we can do cook outs as opposed to restaurant dining. And this year we'll have several houses within a close proximity that have big kitchens, outdoor grills and are ideal for parties. It makes sense to take advantage of these as much as possible. You'll notice that I've listed different houses for different nights, but that schedule is only a suggestion for now. Frankie and I are happy to open our home to everyone for the week. We have a large patio with two gas grills, a huge kitchen with plenty of ovens and room for food prep and service. We have on ongoing supply of paper products and cook out utensils that belong to all of you.

Of course, Sedona has tons of great restaurants, and those who wish to dine out are free to do so. The most important part of keeping our cookouts and parties affordable is knowing who and how many will be attending each night (and mornings, as Max and I intend to work up some easy breakfast treats for those who want it). In the past our dinner parties have been BYOB and we've shopped for the food in advance. Howie runs the cooking team that consists of whoever wants to help in whatever way they're needed. Cost for dinners has always been $10 per person or less. We see no reason why we can't work within that budget again this year. Breakfasts should be under $5 per person. We pay that in cash after each meal to reimburse those who purchased the food. For this reason we like to jeep shoppers to a minimum. If anyone has a special dish or salad that they want to prepare we need to know in advance. If you need to be reimbursed, we need to know that too. Of course, if you want to donate a side dish or appetizer or dessert item, those are always welcome. 

<<>>

We've always managed to accommodate everyone as long as we know in advance. Max and I are already watching for sales and specials on favorite foods and traditional barbecue fare. Expect to see burgers, brats, chicken, ribs, fish, tacos, and other goodies. We will stock up. But we need feedback from EVERYONE ASAP. We have just over 2 months until we get together. So please start posting and communicating your arrival dates, and personal needs or preferences. 

Your participation at whatever levels will make this another great and memorable meetup. Your feedback in advance is most important and vital to the overall success. So let's get fired up!

TA Meetup

*High clearance vehicles

Group photo ops: Red Rock Crossing via Verde Valley School Rd, Sedona sign at the Lutheran Church on 179, Yavapai Vista (Bell Rock)

Wednesday

Chapel of the Holy Cross

Bell Rock

Courthouse Loop

Baby Bell

Cathedral Rock

Little Horse

Yavapai Vista/Slim Shady/Highline

RR Ranger Station

Cook out Casa RedRox

Thursday

West Fork and Oak Creek Canyon

Slide Rock

Grasshopper Point

Midgely Bridge

Huckaby

Cow Pies*

Schnebly Hill Rd*

Wilson Mtn

Group photo

Cook out Chez Max

Friday

Verde River Rafting

Montezuma Castle and Well

Fort Verde

V-Bar-V

Sacred Mountain

Red Canyon*

Group photo at Red Rock Crossing

Cook out OH Cabin

Saturday

Loy Canyon*

Palatki*

Honanki*

Devils Bridge

Soldiers Pass

Brins Mesa

Doe Mtn

Bear Mtn

Boynton Canyon

Long Canyon

Enchantment

Group photo

Cook out Casa Red Rox

Sunday

Tuzigoot

Cottonwood/Clarkdale

Wineries

Verde Canyon RR

Jerome

Watson Lake

Prescott

Various hikes

Pizza and left overs Casa RedRox

--

RedRox

Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you might never owe

July 15, 2015 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

esty

I'm mostly interested in the longer hikes, also those including petroglyphs - and cook outs + the Sunday tour to Wartson lake / Prescott, sort of as a guide if wanted

--

When the going gets rough, the  tough get tougher - courage is being shit scared and saddling up anyway.

July 16, 2015 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Axelbobo

Food -  i eat anything so long as it's not still moving.

Drink - of the alchohol variety tend to flow somehow readily into my mouth, so i will bring more than enough to compensate to the table as donations only, and contribute as applic.

I arrive on Thurs and activities all look fine. Leave Sunday pm.

Happy that Saturday looks like some hiking involved as i REALLY need to get to see Sedona at some stage. Happy to cross across to any group/outing and get my little legs moving. Time is valuable.

Fancy a bike trail or trails squeezed in somewhere, so hopefully will try to organise a day, perhaps with MTBSedona and lvziggy.......if they can keep up!

Wineries on Sunday will be out for me as im a resposible driver who leaves that day. Any other day, or all day in fact would be no problem.

Ive heard Watson Lake mentioned a few times. What's that about, scenic / water activity / other?

Intend to GoPro my trip activities, if anyone has reservations. 

--

Good work aint cheap. Cheap work aint good.

July 16, 2015 at 6:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Parisi, aka MikePinTucson

We will arrive the afternoon of Wednesday, the 7th, and will leave around noon on the 12th.  We will be in for all of the dinners, but not breakfasts.  Not sure what time we will be able to check in, but would be available to help with setting things up and/or doing any needed prep work for dinner.

Irma will probably be in for the art festival and for shopping and browsing.  So Frankie will have at least one person to accompany her.

West Fork for me, along with whatever else goes with it on Thursday.  Already signed up for the Duckies on Friday.  Never been to Watson Lake, so I'm up for that.  And visiting the wineries would be good, too.

--

July 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Thank you Mike. This exactly the kind of summary that I need from everyone. Looking forward to your help. Will you be bringing a fatty? We can incorporate that into the first cookout. 

--

RedRox

July 16, 2015 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Parisi, aka MikePinTucson

I will absolutely bring one or two.  each one is a pound of bacon and 2 pounds of sausage, plus fillings.  Do yu think we would need two?

--

July 16, 2015 at 7:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

Rick and I will be in Wed. I don't think we can check in to the Rental until 3pm, so maybe we'll come and help you and Frankie set up-----we actually we'll have to drop the burgers off and I am hopefully going to make a Cowboy Casserole or two.  They can be kept frozen and heated in microwave any of the breakfast days.

I may have to be at the rental to greet the rest of  our roomates and make sure they get settled in. 

We won't leave till Monday morning.   

Thurs.: I'm up for the west creek hike, but can do something else since I did it last Oct.  any of the other places you names sound fine too.

Friday : let the Duckies rule.

Sat.: Again any of the hikes sound great.

Sun.  I would like to go to Jerome, Also there is a shop on the way into Sedona proper that I need to stop at for sure.            and we need some Vinegar and Olive Oil from the store down town Sedona. 

--

Most of my best memories come from some old dirt road......Slickrockwalker

July 16, 2015 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

Lynn, Lisa and I will probably roll into Sedona around 4:00 on Wednesday, so in time for the cook-out.  Well be staying through the following week, leaving in Thursday.    Since we have a couple extra days to paly around the area, I think we'll be very flexible in terms of activities and more likely to go with the herd (Devil's Bridge and Watson Lake are high on my list, but if we don't get to those during the meet-up the three of us will still have time to take them in).

I'm thinking about the duckie excursion, but I do not think that Lynn or Lisa will be going on that one.  They will probably be interested in checking out the shops (I'd rather sit on a cactus).  The balloon gig is of interest to me just for the photo ops; red rock with the morning light from a balloon could be kind of cool.

--

...glass half full.

July 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

Do the duckies with us Allen.  I can understand shoppng over the duckie for the gals, but I'm all in for the duckies. 

--

July 16, 2015 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Thanks all. Keep it coming. 

Mike I expect that one will be sufficient. The thread with photos seemed to have love it or hate it feedback. I'm in the love it group. 

--

RedRox

July 17, 2015 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Roz aka SWT aka SussexWorldtraveller aka SupersonicWindTunnel

Speaking for myself and David:

Food - Yes, we eat food, several time a day if we can get it!!!!  Neither of us is fussy, intolerant or allergic to anything, and we won't be dieting on a vacation!!!  (That said I still like a few veggies with a meal and to me mac'n'cheese doesn't count, lol!)

Drink:  We will bring supplies picked up along our travels after arrival in the USA.  We never bring drink from the UK as it's way cheaper in the USA.  We are bound to have a selection of microbrews for sharing and swapping, as usual. 

We will arrive Wednesday.  Not sure what time as not sure what we do that day or where we will come from, but we will have spent the weekend before in Phoenix, hooking up with good friends and David's old work mates.  We may stay longer there if any are able to see us on a work day, but that's unlikely unless anybody has retired recently .....  However, if anybody tells us they would like us to arrive early that day to help out with anything, please let me know, and we are likely to be coming from somewhere pretty close by.  And also please let me know if we can bring anything with us that may be cheaper/easier to source in Phoenix.

Thursday - We will go with the flow with any hiking.  Schnebly Hill Road for an off road trip also sounds good to me, but we need to carshare with somebody else.

Friday - Seems we will be with the duckies gang, with or without a monkey wrench.

Saturday - Again, any of the hiking should work.  As well as the petroglyphs and rock art stuff in the area, we'd love to make sure some of our hiking is to some of the really scenic parts of the Sedona area, as despite several visits there, we still haven't gotten to any areas outside the town with rock vistas somehow.

Sunday - Pretty flexible, but the Prescott, Jerome excursion sounds good as we were actually going to do that when we left town, so doing it with company would work even better.

Monday - check out and leave in the morning.  Now where we head is still up in the air, but must go look for some lodging options in the Grand Canyon NP!

Oh - one thought:  Seems we are likely to not be canyoneering this trip.  It clashes with the duckies, which we've opted for, as the first issue.  Secondly, I really do not care for the idea of spending much of the day with wet hiking boots and having a long, steep hike out with soggy feet and risking blisters - yeah, super wimpy, I know, but that's my position on this.  So, we could be up for a hot air balloon adventure if anybody else is interested.  We know it's super expensive, it's why we skipped it last year in Albuquerque when we attended the Balloon Fiesta there.

If you need more info, Alex, please shout!

Roz

--
July 17, 2015 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Roz aka SWT aka SussexWorldtraveller aka SupersonicWindTunnel

Oh, should I have put the food and drink comments within a different topic?   If so, let me know which is the more appropriate topic and I can repeat the info there.

Roz

July 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

esty

Food: Walt eats just  about anything provided it's been killed properly beforehand ... : I'm happy with fruit and veggies and salad ... and there's a lot I will NOT eat ... yes, call me finicky in this respect, guilty as charged ...

--

When the going gets rough, the  tough get tougher - courage is being shit scared and saddling up anyway.

July 17, 2015 at 9:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kbec

So Russ and I will be arriving mid day Thursday.  We will be coming in from the north so will stop at Slide Rock Park and West Canyon and do that on our own unless we meet up with you.  Dinner with you guys

Friday breakfast with the group,  we will be doing the duckies and what ever else you have (Montezuma Castle? hopefully for sure) dinner with the group.

Saturday breakfast with group? Our activities will depend on the types of hikes, we may just end up doing the art festival or checking out the vortexes.... Russ would love to go golfing though if anyone is interested for Saturday.  Dinner with the group

We will be leaving bright and early Sunday to get back home.  meals on our own.

We eat whatever, no special requirements.  I am not interested in that thing Mike is bringing though :-/

July 17, 2015 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Allen, aka OhioHick
Site Owner

I'd be up for golf as well (figured that I would sneak in a around during the time after the meet-up).  Perhaps Alex and arrange a late afternoon round (even just 9 holes) once we get back from the group activity (whatever that ends up being).

--

...glass half full.

July 17, 2015 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

We'll work some golf in some how. 

Esty, I've watched you eat a few times. I have a good idea of what it takes to please you. 

--

RedRox

July 17, 2015 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna Mulford aka...SJG

Oscar and I will be coming in on Wed probably around noon or so! We will be leaving our adopted son at the Canyon and fresh off of a backpacking trip with him! Unfortunately we will be leaving Sedona on Sat...early to make our flight home! One of us is actually still working and it ain't me!!

We will more than likely be up for hikes on Thurs and Fri! Looking forward to seeing a bit more than last time but for sure won't even put a dent in all there is!

Food....well with being in a hotel I'll be limited to what I can do/make but am willing to do whatever I can. I can pick up some fresh fruit and/or even fixin's for salad!  I will have wine of course and Oscar will definitely  have beer!!! Since we'll be in early on Wed if you all need us to help set things up Alex, we can more than help there!

--

...."I'm not lost...I've seen that cairn before"....

July 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

Donna,    Alex hasn't posted the menu yet.   The only thing he and I have discussed are the  Burgers,& both of us are watching for sales on Salmon and Ribs.   I'm going to make the Cowboy Breakfast casserole, freeze it and then we can have it for breakfast on one of the days.   

--

July 17, 2015 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Donna you won't need to cook or prepare anything more than what we have on hand. I might put you in charge of macncheese. 

--

RedRox

July 18, 2015 at 1:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Noel
I'll be arriving Wednesday afternoon after driving from Moab and leaving Monday morning. In between eat, hike, drink, eat, drink, sleep; repeat.
--

"Australians are the nicest people but you can only ever understand half of what they are actually saying."

July 18, 2015 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.