Sedona 2015 - UTAH Meet-up

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Things to do! > Canyoneering

Danny S

Here is what is available to us for canyoneering. The U.S.F.S. does not allow commercial canyoneering guides to operate in the Sedona area. Centerfocus (www.thecenterfocus.com) is a company that offers canyoneering guides just outside the boundary. They are offering to take a group of us to the Salome Jug. Look at an Arizona map and find Lake Roosevelt near the towns of Apache Junction and Globe.

We would carpool and it would take us about 2 hours and 15 minutes to travel to the trail head. They want us there at 8:00 AM, roughly. We expect to be back to our vehicles at 4:00 PM then drive back to Sedona.

Also of interest is that this trek would include getting WET! We would be splashing in streams, pools, and waterfalls most of the entire day. Weather is expected to be in the mid 80 degrees so we hope for a warm enjoyable day. Wet-N-Wild! If the temperature gets much cooler they will have wetsuits for us to wear. Check out their photos and videos online.

Plus I should mention it is a steepy hike back to the vehicles at the end.  The guides remind us "this sport is physically demanding".

It is not a perfect situation and all of us who want to join need to do some serious thinking about this. They would charge us $ 150.00 per person which is an excellent group rate.

Special thanks to Max who provided much of this information.

Please post your thoughts and opinions if you’re interested in canyoneering.

June 25, 2015 at 12:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex

Thanks for posting Danny. We need feedback relatively soon if anyone wants to do this. Our initial impression was that it's too far away and not what the canyoneering bunch is used to. I might be wrong.

Canyoneers, speak up. 

--

RedRox

Worrying is like paying interest on a debt you might never owe

June 25, 2015 at 4:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker
I really think it sounds like a great adveture. Anyone who likes water parks will love this. As long as my health issues are taken care of I am in. I need to start training for the up hill climb out. I think we need 8/10 people to get the rate I negotiated with them of $150.00.
--

Most of my best memories come from some old dirt road......Slickrockwalker

June 25, 2015 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

powderglut

Deb and I would go. Sounds like a good time.

June 25, 2015 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alison, aka lvziggy

I seriously doubt I can get Mark to be up and ready to leave at 5:30 in the morning when he's on vacation.  The trip sounds like fun except for the drive time so I just can't commit right now.:(

June 25, 2015 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Donna Mulford aka...SJG

I'm still up in the air on this.....a lot depends on what day it's scheduled for. With only being there for 3 days we'll be limited on what we do and when!

Plus I'm not real excited about the travel time to and fro!

--

...."I'm not lost...I've seen that cairn before"....

June 26, 2015 at 7:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Axelbobo

Hmmmmn....

I would actually love to do this and the video shows it to be a lot of fun.

The journey time is a factor but i suppose any canyoning (apparently how we Europeans say it) trip would be a whole day affair anyway.

Just to say im easy, if numbers need to be made up, then i'm in.

Otherwise, my Sedona time is limited (my first time in Sedona in anger so to speak) and im quite happy also to pass if there's not enough interest.

--

Good work aint cheap. Cheap work aint good.

June 26, 2015 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

powderglut

Alison, we'll put Mark to bed early the night before. This one looks like it will be a great trip. Besides we're not getting any younger. Hate to see you miss it. 

June 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alison, aka lvziggy

Okay, I'm going to be difficult. Danny's post says "they want us there at 8". If our group is the only one they are taking can't we dictate the schedule some ourselves? Since it doesn't sound like we need an early start to beat the heat why do we have to start so early? Because it's convenient for them? I'd rather have a little later start and be done later in the afternoon.

This is just my 2 cents - talk amongst yourselves.

June 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker
This seems to be a very unique canyoneering trip. I think getting up early one day wouldn't hurt to get the experience of this trip. Most of the trips turn out to be all day gigs. Rick and I travel 4 hours one way regularly on our adventures. At the end of the day I think the adventure trumps sleeping in. I for one don't want to hike out in the dark with rattle snakes.
--

June 26, 2015 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Danny S

An advantage during a vacation is sleeping in late everyday - except one!

I bet everyone reading this wakes up before 6:00 AM each day to go to work.  On the canyoneering morning you DON'T have to take a shower.  DON'T have to put on make-up.  DON'T even have to comb your hair.  Just get up, grab a cup of coffee and a granola bar and fruit - and off!

Max is right.  The sun goes down early in October and we can't be in the dark.

June 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

I just realized something.  I can't do this Canyoneering trip as much as I want to. It sounds like such a great adventure.  Most of you know I am a insulin dependent diabetic. I wear an insulin pump. Unfortunately it is not water proof.  I am able to remove it for an hour at the most.  So an all day adventure in water is something I can't do.  I can raft and keep it in a dry box  as long as I'm not submerged for lengthly time.  What a bummer. 

--

June 28, 2015 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Danny S

Roz and David are available by e-mail but are not connected to the internet right now and unable to respond.  We'll hear from them in a week or so.

June 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alison, aka lvziggy

"I bet everyone reading this wakes up before 6:00 AM each day to go to work" - you would be right for me, but someone else who isn't reading this doesn't. He's the one who needs to be convinced. I'd be happy to PM anyone his number so you can call him to try to convince him yourselves. :/

June 30, 2015 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Danny S

Give us his number so we can call him at 5:30 AM the morning of canyoneering in Sedona!

July 1, 2015 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Danny S

Roz...

July 13, 2015 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Roz aka SWT aka SussexWorldtraveller aka SupersonicWindTunnel

Hi Danny and all you folk.  I couldn't find this post, and have only now had time to wade through the huge amount of new topics and posts on the forum.  Gosh, you guys have been busy posting all sorts of info while we've been gadding around some European countries!!!

A 5.30 start during a vacation is not at all my idea of fun.  I'm so with MrZig/Mark on this one!   As neither of us have offices to go to, no, we don't get up before 6 on any day of the week at home!  Getting me out of bed before 8 can be a challenge sometimes.

As to the canyoneering:  That long drive really doesn't appeal too much, and I'm not totally sold on the getting wet element.  Getting wet by itself is not an issue, it's getting wet with regular clothes rather than swimwear that I don't enjoy, and getting my hiking footwear wet and then having a tough uphill hike at the end of the day is a sure recipe for blisters that I really could do without.

Also, I've an annoying back issue at the moment that while so, so much better, is a nagging thing I need to think about.  But we are really tempted. 

What day of the week are we talking about?  What other hikes and activities does the canyoneering clash with?

Roz

July 16, 2015 at 7:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

As you can see by Alex's List of things to do, it  appears that Friday is the most likely day for Verde River Duckie Rafting and Canyoneering.    I'm out for this Canyoneering trip, only because my insulin pump is not water proof. (I'm working on changing  and getting a wireless and water proof one)   So I'm choosing the River Duckies over Canyoneering this trip.

--

July 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Roz aka SWT aka SussexWorldtraveller aka SupersonicWindTunnel

Well, Max, if the duckies clashes with the canyoneering, I rather think we too will vote for intended water based activities rather than ropework that gets you wet!!!  I have visions of the muddy, wet group photos from Escalante, and a very, very grumpy Esty!

Roz

July 16, 2015 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Max aka Slickrockwalker

But  the rest of us had a great time.

--

July 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.